Collect and export data from bluetooth devicesNovember 27, 2020
This project will show how to collect real-time BLE data and export as csv using web browser.
For this project, I am using Bluetooth Low Energy USB dongle called BlueIO, which will act as a central device to retrieve data. Hibou Air Quality Monitor which will serve as a peripheral device to transmit the data. The script is simple to use and can be used for other purposes such as store the data into database or cloud.
Things we need:
- Google chrome version 78 or later (windows)
- BleuIO — Bluetooth Low Energy Adapter
- Hibou Air Quality Monitor sensor device
Before we start
The article assumes you have some general knowledge of how Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) work. Since the Chrome Serial specification on Google Chrome is not finalized yet, you will have to go to enable the highlighted flag, and restart Chrome.
open chrome://flags/#enable-experimental-web-platform-features in chrome browser.
- Clone the git repository.
git clone https://github.com/smart-sensor-devices-ab/export_ble_data.git
- Connect the Bleuio dongle to your computer.
- Open index.html file
- Click connect and wait for the device to load on your com port.
- Select your com port.
- Scan for BLE devices. (this script only scan for Hibou Devices. You can change the manufacturer value at script.js file)
- Select device and start getting data. You will get real time value on the screen.
- Once you click on stop getting data. you will see all the data showing on a table between the time period. You can view data or export in csv.